Work-Based Learning Experiences (WBLE) are a crucial aspect of preparing all students for life after high school. Due to COVID-19, many students were unable to complete their WBLE due to business and school closures.
This resource discusses alternative ways in which students can explore careers and WBLE to learn the essential skills required to be successful in a work environment.
Modes of Learning
This material can be delivered:
- Synchronously: Each part can be explained separately, in sections grouped together, or all at once. The culminating activity allows participants to answer school/district/BOCES specific questions to create an Action Plan.
- Asynchronously: Participants can have each section broken down to include the information, the resources, and to practice with the resources. The culminating activity will allow participants to answer school/district/BOCES specific questions to create an Action Plan.
Participants should start with the Pre-Assessment to determine where they can expand their work-based learning knowledge.
Through synchronous or asynchronous learning activities and resources, participants will:
- Part 1
- Identify what work-based learning is and is not
- Understand how to become a certified WBL coordinator (if needed)
- Part 2
- Research programs that support transition services within local agencies
- Explore opportunities to expand provision of services to students alongside local agencies
- Part 3
- Familiarize themselves with different work readiness exams that meet CDOS Option 2
- Part 4
- Utilize free curriculums provided to create lessons that facilitate on transition services to support work-based learning
- Implement paid or free programs to support job shadowing opportunities
- Part 5
- Explore a variety of virtual work-based learning opportunities to meet CDOS requirements
- Part 6
- Review action steps
- Part 1: Definition and Coordinator Certification
- Part 2: Working with Local Agencies
- Part 3: Work-Readiness exams
- Part 4: Classroom Instruction and Job Shadowing
- Part 5: Employment Preparation and Work Based Learning Experiences in a Virtual World (Adapted from National Technical Assistance Center on Transition)
- Part 6: Culminating Activity
For more information, or if you are unable to access any of the resources provided, contact: