In this PD session, we will explore supporting English language learners’ academic language development, while working in distance learning or hybrid instructional settings.
Modes of Learning
This session features recorded webinar that can be shared synchronously or asynchronously with individuals or groups. The webinar includes “stop and think” points where participants will be prompted to reference the materials linked below. The material may also be divided into three parts to allow educators more time to dig into the material. Additional information on presentation formats is provided in the Facilitator’s Guide, linked above.
- Webinar: Supporting ELLs’ Academic Language Development
- Tools Packet
- An online resource sharing tool (Padlet)
- Define the importance of teaching academic language to ELLs in distance or hybrid settings.
- Describe strategies for selecting academic vocabulary to focus on during distance or hybrid instruction.
- Explore research-based strategies for supporting ELLs’ academic language development at the word, sentence, and discourse levels.
- Apply strategies for supporting ELLs’ academic language development in a distance or hybrid setting.
For more information, or if you are unable to access any of the resources provided: