In this session, participants will learn strategies to promote SEL through culturally responsive practices, and articulate action steps toward embedding culturally competent SEL practices in classrooms.
In addition, participants will examine the benefits of cultural considerations for SEL integration while focusing on recognizing strengths in students, what cultural considerations teachers should be making when implementing SEL, and how does culturally responsive teaching set a foundation for SEL and academic learning.
Modes of Learning
The session was designed to be delivered virtually over your platform of choice. It is recommended to choose a platform that has breakout room capabilities for participants to engage in smaller, rich, group dialogue.
This is the sixth unit of a six-part e-learning series with each three-hour unit being delivered in synchronous sessions.
Facilitator’s Guide: Integrating SEL into a Culturally Responsive Classroom (Session 6)
Participants will be able to:
- Examine the benefits of cultural considerations for SEL integration, and recognize the asset that is student’s culture.
- Review cultural considerations teachers should be making when implementing SEL and examine the foundation culturally responsive teaching sets for SEL.
- Articulate action steps toward embedding culturally competent SEL in classrooms.
- Trainer presentation
- Jamboard Flower
- Answer Garden
- NYSED SEL Benchmark Reflection Padlet
- SEL & CRS Scrumblr
- Note Catcher
Additional resources are embedded within the slide deck presentation and linked in the Facilitator’s Guide.
- Jessica Carpenter, Greater Southern Tier BOCES
- Stephanie Stephens, Greater Southern Tier BOCES