This turnkey session is designed to assist all teachers understand how to make content comprehensible for ELLs/MLLs. Specifically, the session will focus on helping teachers understand how language impacts learning and specific ways to create meaning for students who speak other languages.
Strategies include using visuals, experiences, and home language support to improve student achievement.
Modes of Learning
This first session for English Language Learners and/or Multilingual Learners can be shared in your region in a number of ways. Links to additional resources are provided in the Facilitator’s Guide, above, and on the ELL Session 1 Resource Links page. This presentation should take approximately 50 minutes to complete with 10 minutes for discussion. Facilitators can choose from the following options:
Recorded, narrated presentation
Show the recorded narrated presentation in its entirety with pauses. Use the ELL Session 1 Resource Link Page to navigate to additional resources.
- How Language Impacts Learning for ELLs – Narrated (PPT) (Download the Powerpoint file from Google Drive to enable the recorded narration)
- ELL Session 1 Resource Link Page
Show the presentation slides, and narrate the script using the notes page. This latter option might be useful for those facilitators who feel very comfortable with the content and wish to have deeper discussions and conversations.
Video presentation (asynchronous)
For asynchronous viewing, share the How Language Impacts Learning for ELLs video presentation, along with the ELL Session 1 Resource Link Page for participants to refer to when they pause the video. This last option also has a quiz at the end for participants to demonstrate their learning (for CTLE credit).
- How Language Impacts Learning and How Teachers Can Help English Language Learners (tip sheet)
- Blueprint for ELL Success
- Student Descriptors at the 5 Proficiency Levels
- Objective 1: Participants will understand key research and concepts that support instruction of ELLs, such as Comprehensible Input, Scaffolded Supports and Home Language Supports
- Objective 2: Participants will identify key strategies to support ELLs in Content Area classes
- Objective 3: Participants will have understanding of ways to increase student engagement and connections, thereby develop stronger relationships with ELLs online
For more information, or if you are unable to access any of the resources provided: