Google Docs version (to print or share): Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Family Engagement Strategies
Objective: To provide structures and strategies that promote family engagement in remote/hybrid learning environments.
The estimated activity time is 30-45 minutes.
Watch: Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Family Engagement Strategies
Stop and Think
(Key: T – Teachers; SL – School Leaders; DL – District Leaders)
Use the Reflection Questions below to guide your thinking as you design structures and strategies to promote family engagement in your learning environment:
- In what ways do you currently communicate with families? (T, SL, DL)
- In remote and hybrid learning environments, what do you see as the greatest opportunity for family engagement? (T, SL)
- In remote and hybrid learning environments, what do you see as the greatest challenge to family engagement? (T, SL)
Complete the activities above as a grade-level team, co-teaching partnership, department, etc., and reflect on how your relationships and connections as a partnership or team affect family engagement (you can use some, or all, of the Reflection Questions above). Then, refer to the table/questions below to support a plan for action to engage your families and community members (the questions listed below are referenced in the table):
Questions to consider
- What languages are spoken?
- What people can help translate?
- Who are some family and community members with topical expertise and knowledge?
- What methods of communication will be used? Who will be responsible for each?