Objective: To synthesize ways to incorporate student experiences, cultures, and strengths into the learning environment.
Stop and Think
Key: T – Teachers, SL – School Leaders, DL – District Leaders
- How can your students’ lives and experiences enrich your virtual classroom? (T)
- What are some ways you can incorporate learning walks in your remote/hybrid classroom? (T, SL)
- How can you ensure a diversity of access points to your remote/hybrid lesson? (T)
- How are your students individual cultures, languages, and experiences represented in your remote/hybrid classroom? (T)
Brainstorm and Design
Think of a traditional learning walk. A group of teachers visit classrooms, take notes, discuss, and share observations and next steps with the rest of the staff.
Now, re-imagine a learning walk with a more student centered approach where a sample of students (gen-ed, IEP, ELL) complete a walkthrough with staff members.
- How could this look?
- How could this work in a remote/hybrid setting?
- How would this contribute to student voice in the academic and cultural practices of the school?