Understanding the support provided at each level of the continuum of special education services can assist administrators, teachers, and families with selecting the right setting that aligns with individualized learning goals.
This self-paced resource guide will help administrators develop a deeper understanding of the continuum of special education services. Administrators will reflect on their current practices and challenges in meeting the individual needs of students with special needs.
Facilitator’s Guide: Continuum of Special Education Services: A Resource for Administrators
Modes of Learning
This resource is broken into six sections. Each section builds on the previous section so they must be done in sequential order. Facilitators can choose to create a check for understanding activity based on time and level of participation in Part Three.
Part Six is done on the participants’ own time to further their learning, so there is no need to guide participants through the material. The IRIS Center Brief is provided for further study.
- Part One: Understanding Continuum of Placement and Continuum of Services
- Part Two: Regulation
- Part Three: Continuum of Services for Students with Disabilities Q&A (PDF) (NYSED)
- Part Four: What does each service look like in a traditional and remote setting?
- Part Five: Activity
- Part Six: Further your learning
- Part 200 Regulations for Students with Disabilities (PDF) (NYSED)
- Continuum of Services for Students with Disabilities Q&A (PDF) (NYSED)
- Informational Brief- Least Restrictive Environment (PDF) (IRIS Center)
Through synchronous or asynchronous learning activities and resources, participants will:
- Objective 1: Administrators will define key characteristics of a variety of service options for students with disabilities.
- Objective 2: Administrators will complete the Continuum of Services Chart activity identifying current building/district remote learning practices and areas in need of improvement.
For more information, or if you are unable to access any of the resources provided:
- Colleen Crisell, Otsego Northern Catskills BOCES
- Amanda Mathewson, Otsego Northern Catskills BOCES