The key to a successful schoolwide approach is to engrain the principles of social emotional learning (SEL) throughout every aspect of school life — from the agenda at staff meetings to the posters on the walls and, more importantly, the interactions between adults and students in person and remotely.
In this session, we’ll explore several key factors that contribute to effective, large-scale implementation of SEL. Participants will be offered lessons from the field and invited to analyze district case studies to determine a range of possible approaches and to consider what they can take away for their own context as they begin to plan or continue implementation of SEL schoolwide.
Modes of Learning
This is the second unit of a six part e-learning series with each three-hour unit being delivered in synchronous sessions.
Each unit is meant to be facilitated within a group setting either in person or remote over a three-hour time period. However, facilitators may decide to break it up into multiple sessions.
Facilitators will guide a conversation using the presentation linked below. The facilitator’s guide provides additional information related to this session’s activities and implementation.
- Staff will be able to describe a systemic approach to implement SEL, reviewing implemented models, recognizing that schools and districts can promote social and emotional development even in times of budgetary stress and leadership turnover.
- Staff will be able to recognize the importance of implementing SEL schoolwide, such that SEL is not an add-on but a part of the fabric of school life.
- Staff will be able to connect SEL with other important efforts that occur within the school (e.g., universal design for learning, educator effectiveness, discipline, mental health, bullying, trauma responsive practices and cultural responsiveness).
- Staff will be able to identify strategies to embed SEL within a cycle of continuous improvement to reflect SEL as a priority.
- Staff will be able to identify and create action steps to explicitly embed SEL within the daily function and instruction of schools and classrooms.
- Embedding Social Emotional Learning Schoolwide Presentation (PPT) | Embedding Social Emotional Learning Schoolwide Presentation (Google Slides)
- Data I Notice, I Wonder Activity
- Reflection Questions for School Leaders and Administrators
The following sample materials were developed and provided by the Greece Central School District:
- Social Emotional Learning Activities and Teaching Practices Science, Grades 6-8
- Greece CSD 2020-21 School Reopening Plan
- Day 1 Principal Community, Circles, Collaboration
- Back to School Staff Circle Lesson
- Greece Central School District Strategic Plan; Envision 2022
- Greece Central School District SEL Elementary Website
- Talk Moves
- Crosswalk Connections Document
- Greece Central School District 2020-21 Code of Conduct
- Greece Central School District 19-20 Vaping Intervention Process
- 4 Major Challenges Moving Forward with SEL
- Data Analysis for Continuous School Improvement Sample Pages
- Greece Central School District Data Dive: Narrated Video with David Blahowicz
- R*E*N Regional Equity Network Building Leadership Capacity
Additional resources for further study:
- Guide to Schoolwide Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL)
- Key Insights from the Collaborating Districts Initiative (CASEL)
- Guide to Schoolwide SEL: Focus Area 2 Strengthen Adult SEL (CASEL)
- Blank Rubric Template (CASEL)
- Personal Assessment and Reflection: SEL Competencies for Teachers (CASEL)
- Adult SEL Self-Assessment (CASEL)
- Case Study: SEL District Partners (CASEL)
- Staff, Family and Community Partner Survey on SEL Implementation (CASEL)
- How To Guide: In-Person Relationship (Harvard Graduate School of Education)
- Strategies and Lesson Plans Virtual Relationship Mapping (Harvard Graduate School of Education)
- Guide to Screening Candidates: 30 Essential Behavioral Interview Questions (LinkedIn)
- Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction Courses (Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction)
- Three Signature SEL Practices for Adults (Oakland Unified School District)
- Three Signature SEL Practices for Challenging Times (Oakland Unified School District)
- Three Signature SEL Practices for the Classroom (Oakland Unified School District)
- SEL 3 Signature Practices Playbook (Oakland Unified School District)
- Social and Emotional Learning Opportunities for Massachusetts, Lessons for the Nation (Rennie Center)